DANBURY, CT — Danbury Irish-Americans kick off a month-long St. Patrick’s Day celebration of events beginning on Saturday, March 9, 2019, at 9 a.m. with the New Fairfield Flag Raising. A St. Patrick’s Day Mass will be celebrated at 9 a.m. at St. Edward the Confessor Church, 21 Brush Hill Road, followed by a march to Town Hall. Ancient Order of Hibernian (AOH) President David Albright, along with New Fairfield’s Peter Hearty and fellow Hibernians, will hoist the Irish flag at Town Hall. Refreshments will be served.
The Greater Danbury Irish Cultural Center (GDICC) has two weekends of St. Patrick’s Day events planned to celebrate the holiday:
Friday, March 15, 2019
- 2JAM Acoustic, 8-11 p.m.: Bill and AJ are back at the Danbury Irish Cultural Center for a night of entertainment including classic rock , oldies, folk , originals and some Irish tunes.
Saturday, March 16, 2019
- Bethel St. Patrick’s Day Flag Raising, 9 a.m. Grab some friends and a warm woolen sweater and head to the Bethel St. Patrick’s Day flag raising on Saturday, March 16th at 9 a.m. at P.T Barnum Square. Then walk over to the Municipal Center, 1 School Street, to raise another Irish flag and join friends and neighbors inside the Municipal Center for coffee, tea, and refreshments.
- Danbury Flag Raising, 12 p.m. Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in the Hat City with local officials, Hibernians, and friends old and new on Saturday, March 16th. First go to Mass at St. Peter’s Church at 11 a.m. and then shuffle on over to the flag raising at the Danbury Town Hall at 12 noon. The GDICC will be opening up at 11 a.m. and serving up delicious, tender corned beef dinners and sandwiches from 12-8 p.m. Thorne Academy of Irish Dance will perform at 1 p.m., followed by a mini seisiun (Irish open music circle) from 3-4:15 p.m.. After that, from 4:15-4:45 p.m., there will be an Irish soda bread making demonstration and another mini sesuin from 4:45-5:30 p.m. Irish music will be playing after that in the pub and in the back room.
Sunday, March 17, 2019
- Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day at the GDICC on Sunday, March 17th! The GDICC opens at 9 a.m. and dinners and sandwiches will be served from 12 noon to 7 p.m. or until they are sold out. Ashurst Academy of Irish Dance will be dancing at 2 p.m., followed by Steve O’Tree who will be playing from 2:45-5:30 p.m. Chicks ‘n Sync will perform from 6-9 p.m.
Sunday, March 24, 2019
- Danbury St. Patrick’s Day Parade, 2 p.m., downtown Danbury. Join locals for the annual Danbury St. Patrick’s Day Parade on Sunday, March 24, 2019. The parade steps off at St. Peter Church on Main Street in Danbury at 2 p.m., and continues up Main Street, turns left on West Street and proceeds up to the Greater Danbury Irish Cultural Center, 6 Lake Avenue, Danbury where there will be Irish music, food, and dance. The parade includes bands, floats, dancers, and marchers. Go to the GDICC afterward for corned beef sandwiches and other food and desserts, music, drinks and a great time. For more information, email parade co-chairs Kevin Hearty or Wendy Mitchell: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT THE GDICC
The goals of our organization are the preservation and teaching of Irish heritage and culture for our own enrichment and enjoyment as well as the next generation’s and for all people who are interested in our heritage with a program of teaching, workshops and cultural events. Classes and workshops include Irish Language, Dance, Music, Singing, Drama, Storytelling, Genealogy, Literature, History and Gaelic Sports. Events include Irish language days, concerts, plays, games, lectures, book clubs and monthly seisiúins.
Currently, the Greater Danbury Irish Cultural Foundation (GDICF) offers weekly Irish language classes at the beginning and intermediate levels; weekly fiddle and whistle classes at the beginning and intermediate levels; weekly céilí and set dancing classes; monthly seisiún; a 1 day traditional acoustic Irish music festival; and an annual 3 day Irish Festival (the Danbury Irish Festival) with a full program of traditional Irish cultural entertainment.
Questions? Call (203) 739-0010, email DanburyIrish@gmail.com or visit www.gdicc.org.
DANBURY, CT — The corned beef is boiling, the dancers are stretching and the fiddlers are rosining up their bows in preparation for two weekends of St. Patrick’s Day fun. The Greater Danbury Irish Cultural Center’s small army of volunteers are busy preparing for a full day of festivities this Saturday, St. Patrick’s Day, March 17, 2018.
The schedule of events is as follows:
- 9:00 a.m.: Flag raising at P.T. Barnum Square, Bethel
- 11 a.m.: Mass at St. Peter Church, Main St., Danbury
- 12 p.m.: Flag raising at Danbury City Hall, West St., Danbury
- 12 p.m. Greater Danbury Irish Cultural Center opens
Following the Mass and flag raising(s), the Greater Danbury Irish Cultural Center will serve corned beef and cabbage beginning at 12:30 p.m. at the center, 6 Lake Ave., Danbury. At 1:00 p. m., the Thorne School of Irish Dance will perform, followed by Newtown-based Ashurst Academy Of Irish Dance at 3:00 p.m. From 4:30 to 7:30 p.m., an all-female Irish band, Chicks ‘n Sync will play, followed by Steve O’Tree from 8:00 – 11:00 p.m.
Next weekend, Sunday, March 25, 2018, the Danbury Hibernians will host the 19th Annual Greater Danbury Parade. Step off is at 3 p.m. in front of St. Peter Church on Main St. in Danbury. The parade route continues down Main St., goes left on West St. on to Lake Ave. and ends at the Danbury Irish Club, 6 Lake Ave., where there will be Irish music, dance, corned beef, cabbage, Irish soda bread and refreshments.
For more information, call the club at (203) 739-0010 or visit WWW.GDICC.ORG.
Photo credit: Wendy Ann Mitchell